Welcome to the biggest building project so far at the Plough. I am currently confined to a bedroom and a bathroom upstairs and am living in a perpetual inch of dust. I was going to share this experience on the pubs web page but I figure that it will be picture hungry and so more suited to the blog.
So what is the project? Well there is a significant amount of fluidity around the edges but in simple terms it involves the removal of an existing dividing wall and 8 chimneys in order to open up the trading space, a little…. Of course the wall that we are speaking of is 15″ thick and, well its a pub.
First off, for those who have not seen the pub, let me show you the starting points:
So from this you should get the general idea, take out the large middle wall and open ‘bar’ into ‘middle room’. The reason for the removal of the upstairs room is simple efficiency, it is ‘easier’ to take it down and rebuild a block wall than to try to support it while we insert the new steel.
Interestingly this project has always been accepted readily. Whenever I have mentioned it people nod approval and say things like ‘it makes sense’ and ‘its a good idea’, that is until a couple of weeks before we started. It was at this, later, point that I started to hear sharp intakes of breath and phrases such as ‘wow that’s a big job’ and ‘that’s some wall’, always handy because that’s a time when my own confidence is at its lowest.
So next up is day one, this is one day of work and demonstrates the madness of my ideas and the fact that, sometimes, I shouldn’t speak to people who agree with my insanity.
Having covered everything in a (not so) fine layer of dust and introduced a new doorway the best thing to do, as always, was to carry on regardless.
Day two looked like this:
I won’t maintain a daily log as such but expect a post on this subject from time to time when things look interesting or progress has been made.