Welcome to Monday. I seem to have had a productive weekend despite not achieving what I set out to. On Saturday morning I set off with a meter to attend to a defective vending machine. By Saturday evening I had removed a radiator, drained a heating system, removed a tank and got thoroughly soaked in the process, the meter remained unused.
My own research and discussion with the surveyor has, somewhat predictably, placed the stonework at a price that could be achieved with a squeeze. I was in no doubt that the costs would be higher than the contingency but lower than a definitive walk away, after all the task is never easy. Stonemasons have been instructed and I am hoping that they will get there this week.
I have asked the stonemasons to consider just how damaging the pub company and its tenants stewardship of the building has been and I doubt that will make good reading. I have now concluded where the original chimney for the building was and it has been totally removed. Reinstating the chimney would place the fire in the middle of an eventual room and therefore be far from ideal. One of the benefits of a detached building though is that it affords various options for log burners.
I was updating the financials to include the costs of making good after the stonemasons have replaced stones when it occurred to me to go the other way. The core of the building is a very old stone pub so why not emphasise that on the inside. I now have in mind cutting the internal plaster back to create feature ‘windows’ onto the original stone.
Once again this Monday finds me waiting, let’s hope the stonemasons are kind to the venue and my wallet.