I will not use the blog to bemoan the state of the British economy or the way it is governed, that is what pubs are for! But I will share a little insight from my current situation, make of it what you will.
The mission is to obtain a letter stating that I am fit to return to work which understandably my employer requires, the task is not as easy as it first appears.
Orthopaedic Consultant – the man responsible for all of my treatment to date, now the clue is in the statement here its those two words ‘to date’ you see he has discharged me now, and had at the time I asked him and so “sorry you need to see your GP”. At this point I should say I avoided the GP as he has had absolutely no involvement.
Physiotherapist – the lady I saw yesterday was extremely keen that I maintained work duties as they are good exercise but “sorry we are not authorised to make written recommendations”
District Nurse – cannot discharge me until I’m no longer at risk of infection and could at least say there are no significant holes? Again it’s policy not to write it down.
GP – telephoned and was told that they have to assess me, my GP has no appointments but I can see some random fellow with a stethoscope, ok that will have to do.
– hello how can I help you?
– I need a ‘fit to work’ letter
– ok ( at this point the pad is out and he is writing) why were you off?
– I broke my wrists
– both? Really?
– when would you like to return?
– let’s say Monday
– are you sure, would you like some more time off?
– no Monday is fine thanks
– it says any recommendations, would you like to make some? Perhaps so e jobs you don’t want to do?
– no that’s fine just ‘normal duties’
– ah what should I call the injury? At this point, the first time in the appointment, he looks at the notes and copies the phrase about complicated bilateral fractures.
– thank you have a good day
– thank you
I have no idea who looked more bemused at this stage clearly the system is not intended for return to work and I do think I will be the subject of lunchtime debate “I had this fella in, wanted to go back to work! That’s right not a sick note a fit note! What is the world coming to?”
Feel free to draw your own conclusions remember I do this so you don’t have to.
As a post script, my dear friends Vicky and Steve have been thwarted by the might of the Chinese government and are unable to send me the thoughtful (it is thoughtful right?) gift that they have procured. I am surprised that ‘contains batteries’ strikes such terror into the authorities given the huge amount of electronics exported every year, but once again I’m not sure who is more bemused …